A proper welding cable is as important as other parts of the welding system, such as the welder or a welding gun. The welding cable is responsible for the overall application of the welding rig as it carries a very high current from the welder to the welding gun.
If there is even a little bit of disturbance in the welding cable, you will not be able to weld properly. Also, a weaker cable might cause hazardous accidents that result in fatal injury. Here are some important properties of an ideal welding cable:
- Safety parameters: As mentioned earlier, you will need a strong and durable cable while working with a high capacity welding machine. We will suggest you get a cable with the highest temperature resistance and current-carrying capacity so that it does not get damaged over time.
- Current capacity: Various welding jobs require varying current for correct results. To make sure your cable is capable of all jobs, you need to get a high capacity cable so that it does not fail you when you wish to work on heavier jobs.
- Length: Length is probably the only attribute that affects the applicability of the cable directly. A shorter cable will have marginally high power carrying capacity while a longer cable is suitable for low power jobs as it cannot carry high voltage power.
Today, we are bringing you the best welding cables that you can buy right now. As there are a lot of options available in the market, you might get confused about which cable is best for you. Also, if you are buying just a welding cable, it is possible that your current cable is damaged and needs a replacement as soon as possible. Hence, make sure you read the article carefully because we can guarantee you that we will be clearing all of your doubts regarding welding cables and help you to get the best cable available for your system.You can also find a dedicated buying guide later in the article that you must follow before making a decision.
Best Welding Cable
Top Welding Cable Reviews
TEMCo is a very popular brand that has received a lot of positive feedback in the past. Therefore, it’s welding cable is our top pick.
In the 1st place, we have the most reliable option from our picks for the best welding cable that is the TEMCo WC0012. It is a 50 feet long cable that is capable of carrying up to 600 volts power. Although, even with such high capacity, it has a temperature resistance ranging from -58°F all the way up to +221°F. It is a very flexible cable due to the rugged EPDM jacket on top. Therefore, you can rely on the flexibility factor of the cable and rest assured that it won’t break easily.
It is an annealed 30 gauge cable made of bare copper conductor. The overall nominal diameter of the cable is around 0.526 inches that is necessary to carry such high current. The conductor stranding ratio is 975/44 that makes it a great conductor cable and does not allow unnecessary resistance at any point on the cable. Along with that, it is resistant to cuts, tears, abrasion, water, oil, grease, and flame. Hence, it has great build quality. TEMco is providing a lifetime warranty on its cable.
- Most reliable cable
- 50 feet length
- 600 volts power capacity
- -58°F to +221°F temperature capacity
- Rugged EPDM jacket on top
- Flexible cable
- 30 gauge cable
- 526 inches nominal diameter
- 975/44 stranding ratio
- Lifetime warranty
- Very reliable option
- Suitable for heavy-duty applications
- Maximum capacity is only up to 50 feet
Tyumen is rather an underrated from our perspective as it is a very budget-friendly brand. You can get a very cheap welding cable from Tyumen.
Our 2nd pick for the best welding cables is the TYUMEN 100FT 16 Gauge 2pin 2 Color Red Black Cable. It can be an ideal option for you if you are looking for a welding cable with the least expensive price tag. Even though it’s very cheap, you will still get a 100-foot long cable with a voltage carrying capacity of 24 volts. It is a true 16 American wire gauge cable that can be used as an extension for an LED strip without any problem.
This particular cable is widely used for various DC electrical hookups and low voltage cables. But it can also be used as in-home wiring or car stereo installation as it is a low loss cable. The top coating or the jacket material is made up of PVC that is very flexible and environmentally friendly. This makes the cable well protected against dampness and environmental cuts and peeling.
- A most budget-friendly option
- 100-foot long cable
- 24 volts capacity
- 16 American wire gauge
- Can be used as an extension for an LED strip
- Widely used for various DC electrical hookups
- low voltage cable
- Best for in-home wiring or car stereo installation
- Low loss cable
- PVC jacket material
- Well protected against dampness
- Little to no environmental damage
- Viable for outdoor use
- The price tag is very low
WindyNation has received tons of positive feedback in the past from its previous customers. Hence, it is worth checking out its welding cable.
In the 3rd position, we have a pure copper cable from WindyNation. The WNI 1/0 AWG 1/0 Gauge 5 Feet Black Battery Welding Pure Copper Ultra-Flexible Cable gives you a large variety of gauges, color variants, and lengths to choose from. With any choice, you will be getting 5 pieces of 5/16 inch STUD copper cable lugs, 5 pieces of ⅜ inch STUD copper cable lugs, and an extra 3 feet long black heat shrink tubing included in the package.
The whole package is designed and manufactured in the USA. Hence, you will not find it difficult to get the cable repaired or even replaced in case you face any difficulty with the product quality or compatibility. The power flex cable itself, on the other hand, is made of pure copper, and it is ultra-flexible due to the solvent-resistant EPDM insulation jacket. It also has SAE J1127 approval and uses annealed copper that is necessary according to ASTM standards.
- Pure copper cable
- A large variety of gauges available
- Multiple color options
- 5 feet cable
- 600 volts power carrying capacity
- 5 pieces of 5/16 inch STUD copper cable lugs included
- 5 pieces of ⅜ inch STUD copper cable lugs included
- Extra 3 feet long black heat shrink tubing included
- Made in the USA
- Ultra-flexible cable
- Solvent resistant EPDM insulation jacket
- SAE J1127 approved
- ASTM standards followed while manufacturing
- Multiple choices available with the same quality
- A lot of extra things included in the package
- 5 feet length can be very short for a lot of applications
GS Power is another lesser-known name from our list. Still, it is a great option in case you want a low voltage cable.
Next up, we have an 8 AWG copper clad aluminum cable from GS Power. This is a CCA red or black bonded cable that can be either used separately or bonded together to use for higher voltage applications. Either way, you will be getting 100 feet cable in the package where 50 feet cable is red, and 50 feet cable is black. Pulling apart the cables is also a very easy task as they are not hard bonded in the packaging.
These cables are automotive-grade with a GPT PVC insulation on top to prevent oil or gas damage from the outside. The inside part of the cable is also highly resilient to damage as it has a high-temperature range from -40 degree F all the way up to +176 degree F. As you can separate the cables, it stands as a perfect option for radio, stereo, home theaters, and robotic applications. Bound together, you can get a high voltage capacity of 600 volts that will be necessary for welding.
- 8 AWG copper clad aluminum cable
- CCA red or black bonded cable
- Can be used together or separately
- 100 feet cable
- 50 feet red and 50 feet black cable
- Easy to take apart
- Automotive-grade cables
- GPT PVC insulation
- Resilient to oil or gas damage
- -40 degree F to +176 degree F temperature range
- The perfect option for radio, stereo, home theaters, and robotics
- 600 volts capacity
- High capacity power cable
- You have the option to use a single cable
- Power capacity will be reduced for longer length
WindyNation provides multiple options for a welding cable. Hence, we have included another WindyNation cable on our list.
Here is another WindyNation welding cable at a very reasonable price tag. It is a 10 feet long variant with similarly strong power capacity that is up to 600 volts. All other attributes are similar to previously mentioned WindyNation cables, such as high-grade EPDM insulation jackets and superior resistance to cuts, tears, abrasion, and moisture damage. The inner copper cable also has a very high stranding ratio.
Combined with the EPDM coating, this cable allows exceptional flexibility that prevents accidental cuts. As it is rated up to 600 volts, it needs a very high-temperature resistance that can be seen on this cable. It has -58°F to +221°F temperature range. As it is a pure copper cable, you can rest assured that even at maximum temperature, the cable will be safe.
- Multiple choices available
- 10 feet long variant
- 600 volts capability
- high-grade EPDM insulation jacket
- Superior resistance to cuts, tears, abrasion and moisture damage
- High stranding ratio
- High-temperature resistance
- Highly flexible cable
- -58°F to +221°F temperature range
- Pure copper cable
- High voltage capacity
- Safe to use at high temperature
EWCS is a premium brand that is known for its high-quality products. Here is a high-quality welding cable from EWCS.
In the end, we have a premium welding cable from EWCS. It is a comparatively shorter cable on our list, which is just 10 feet. But, it still has a high voltage capacity of 600 volts. Apart from that, you will get a very decent build quality on these cables as they are sunlight resistant, water-resistant, and highly flexible even though it is a 30 gauge copper stranding cable.
The cables are packed as a coil in the package. But you will have the option to use it either separately for low voltage applications or combined for higher voltage capacity. It carries approximately 364 strands on a nominal diameter of 0.319 inches that allows a better power transfer and provides great end results.
- Premium welding cable from EWCS
- 10 feet length
- High voltage capacity of 600 volts
- 30 gauge copper stranding cable
- Very decent build quality
- Can be used separately or combined
- Packed as a coil in the package
- 364 strands approximately
- Nominal diameter of 0.319 inches
- High gauge cable
- Build quality is very good
- Maximum capacity can only be obtained while combined
Buying Guide For The Best Welding Cable
If you have read about each of the cable variants mentioned above, you should be able to distinguish between various options considering their various properties. As we have mentioned each product along with its best features, it should be very easy for you to prioritize what features you need the most.
But it gets a little complicated as the requirement of each feature depends largely upon the applications. Therefore, we are presenting this buying guide that includes all of the necessary information, which is essential to know before buying a welding cable. Make sure you read the buying guide completely so that you are not left with any second doubts about your choice.
1. Voltage capacity
The voltage capacity of the welding cable is one of the most important aspects and must be checked thoroughly before buying a cable. While using the cable with a welder, you need it to carry a certain amount of current so that the welding gun gets proper input, and welding can be done.
This will not be possible if the capacity of your welder and the welding cable mismatch. If you have a high capacity welder, you will need a high capacity cable to use the machine at its full potential.
2. AWG rating
AWG stands for American wire gauge. If you look at all of the options mentioned above, you will find a certain gauge rating on every cable. This rating is available for almost all electrical cables available in the USA.
This rating represents the diameter of the cable in comparison to a standard gauge. While buying cable, you need to make sure that it has a higher gauge rating as a higher gauge cable can surely withstand for a longer time while providing a better endurance against physical failure.
3. Cable Length
The length of the cable plays an important role in the selection process of the cable. As you may already have known, longer cables have a considerably lesser power carrying capacity while shorter cables have a pretty high voltage rating.
The reason behind this is that if a cable is long, it will have a smaller nominal diameter. If a high capacity current is passed through it, there is a risk of overheating and melting of internal copper strands. Hence, consider your application and required voltage capacity before getting a new cable for a perfect match.
4. Cable Diameter
Similar to the gauge of the cable, the nominal diameter of the cable is also a very important factor of a welding cable. Thicker cables have a larger current carrying capacity as they provide a larger cross-sectional area that does not heat up easily.
On the other hand, smaller cables are more prone to heat up via current but offer higher flexibility. Generally, you will see a nominal diameter rating instead of just the diameter as the diameter is not exactly the same on the whole length. Therefore, the nominal diameter is basically the average of the varying diameter at various cross-sections.
When you have used a certain cable for a very long period of time, you start to face issues like braking on certain points, or the outer shell starts cracking because of excessive bending.
If you are an experienced welder, you can agree that the bending of the cable is an inevitable problem. Therefore, to avoid cable damage, you must go for a highly flexible cable as they do not start cracking easily. There are a lot of things that affect the overall flexibility of the cable, such as strands and outer coating available on the cable.
While buying a welding cable, you need to consider multiple factors as a welding cable is a very important part of the welding system. To make the selection procedure easier for you, we have already shortlisted the best products amongst all and presented them along with their details in the article.
We have also provided a dedicated buying guide so that you get a reference to go through before finalizing your choice. Although, if you still cannot decide which one you need to get, follow our best recommendations mentioned below:
- Firstly, we will suggest TEMCo WC0012 welding cable as it is the most reliable option you can possibly get from our list. TEMCo separately mentioned that it would accept any sort of damaged cable, whether it’s due to mishandling or any other reason. You can get a free repair or replacement, which is great. It is a 50 feet long cable that can carry up to 600 volts power, which is very good.
- Although, if you use your machine for distant welding and generally for lower power applications, then GS Power 8 AWG can be the perfect choice for you. It is a 12 volts cable which is around 100 feet long, making it the longest cable available in the market. Although, you will be getting 2 different cables that are 50 feet each so you can use 1 out of those 2 as well.
- Lastly, we will recommend TYUMEN 100FT 16 Gauge 2pin 2 Color Red Black Cable as a go-to option if you are on a tight budget. This welding cable marks the least expensive price tag on our list while providing you with a 100 feet long welding cable. This is a great option if you want to wire for your electrical LED lights as it supported up to 24 volts power capacity.
Make sure to share your thoughts in the comments section. You can also post any questions down there if you have any!